It’s fairly easy to apply for a marriage license in the city of Manila. It even gets easier when the couple is older. There are lesser requirements. For 28 years old, we are only required to attend 1 seminar regarding family planning. As for the requirements? (1) NSO Birth Certificate (2) 1 Valid ID and xerox copy of the ID
For the process, it was easy. I’ll lay it down for easy reference
1. Around 8 AM – visit the Manila City Hall Civil Registry to get an application form. You have to fill up the application letter twice, as there’s no carbonated forms. Kalvin visited City Hall earlier to get the form and pay for the fee of 120 Php. You can also do that so that you can fill up the forms at home. Ensure that the details filled up in the form coincidence with that of the birth certificate including parents nationality.
2. At 8:30 AM – proceed to Room 128 for the seminar. You would need to proceed to the mezzanine in the room for the actual seminar. You would be required to present the application form, receipt for 120 Php and they would provide a new form with control number per couple. You need to write twice also… no carbonated forms. You would also need to sign 2 folders. (1) Couple signature and address is necessary. (2) You need to disclose the type of contraceptives you are using. 2 folders for this, one for male and another for female.
3. At 9 AM – the seminar will start with a film showing. (1) Importance of letting a baby grow in a healthy environment. For the faint hearted, please note that there are some gory images in the video showing: actual labor via normal delivery. There was no warning, they focused the camera on the female thing immediately, it was disgusting that I almost fainted. (2) Abortion – I was able to view this during high school. It showed the ultrasound of the baby while undergoing abortion. This is also disgusting. After the film showing, I can’t feel my legs anymore.
A counselor talked after the film showing, giving tips on how to have a happy marriage. Some of the stuffs discussed are printed in the tarp.
4. Around 9:30 AM – you need to go back to the Civil Registry to submit the forms. An employee would be checking the details of the application form. After which, you would be sent to Mrs. Dela Cruz in the admin for the oath-taking. You need to take an oath for the information you have indicated in the forms.
After the oath, you are done! 10 days processing and you will receive the marriage license for you to sign in the church during the actual wedding.
Tips to make the trip easier:
1. Ask for directions on how to locate Rm 128. It’s in the farthest area. From the entrance, go straight second to the last entrance turn right and go all the way to the back of the building.
2. If you find a comfort room, try using it, there are a few comfort room in the location. It’s a bit far from the seminar room.
3. There’s no waiting area. To kill time, you may stay at the bureau of permit area. They have aircon, TV and chairs. It’s located across the wing.
4. Despite the instruction saying the registration is opened at 8AM, outside the door, it’s indicated it would start at 8:30 AM.
Happy marriage license applying couples!